About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Ah...the Corporate Machine is in Full Motion in our Fast Food Nation today!

MSNBC - Sales fall at Wendy's after finger discovery

This link takes us to a story that is talking about the impact on sales that the fast food chain "Wendy's" is dealing with after a women found a Human Finger in her Chili at a Wendy's in Cailifornia. The analysts say that the restaurant won't suffer much in the long run. And really, I for one believe them. I mean, it's not like the food killed the poor woman or anything. (anyone remember back in 1993 when E. coli O157:H7 killed customers who ate at Jack in the Box? There was Bad Meat and quite a few people ate it.) Oh, wait. People still eat at JitB. Lots of people. Do you ever wonder why? Why we knowingly eat food that is not only nutritionally poisonous, but is fed to us by people who literally don't care if we die? Well, they care. If you die, you can't spend your money in their stores. It's because we are ADDICTED to it. It's cheap, it tastes good, it's readily available, and NO ONE thinks that eating that one time in the fast food store of their choice is a problem. Well, in case you missed it in the Theatres, you really need to take a look at this movie: Super Size Me. And THEN you need to read the book: Fast Food Nation. These two resources together speak far more elegantly than I ever could on the subject.
Do me a favor, let me know your thoughts on this subject. Really. I am interested to know. Leave a comment here on the Blog. Let's start a discussion!

Oh, I was doing a bit more reading on line, and I found this interview with the author of Fast Food Nation: Eric Schlosser that you may enjoy.

1 comment:

GreatMamboChicken said...

The headline should have read "Wendy's Gives Customer the Finger."
Seriously, the movie "Super Size Me" is a very revealing movie. I second the recommendation to watch that. I want to add, though, that while you're realizing just how much the big corporation is poisoning you with it's food substitute and brainwashing you from childhood to become addicted to it, also realize that food isn't the only avenue of this type of poisoning. Every major market is guilty of it. Doctors give patients perscriptions based on kickbacks not on diagnosis, gas prices go up even though there is no shortage of fuel in the nation, government subsidized television tells you how to dress, how to act, and who you should and should not be. You can go on being a slave to the flashing 12:00 on the inside of your brain, or you can open your mind to those who seek to expose such things. I recommend Penn and Tellers show "Bullshit" as a source of all around reality debunking.
To quote a meagerly successful movie "Snatch back your brain, zombie! Snatch it back and hold it."