About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Monday, August 23, 2004

Longer Hours, Less Pay

I have to admit that I hate working overtime. Really. I like to work my scheduled shift and go home at my scheduled time. Now, with that being said, if I do happen to work more than my alloted hours, I appreciate the extra money that comes along with my personal sacrifice. I think it is fair and just that employers pay that time and a half to thier employees. They are, after all, the people responsible for the success of the business. Whatever that business may be. Now, there are changes to the Overtime Wages rules that may well affect a huge number of people in this country. And from what I have heard, the changes are not good for the employee.

I am certainly not pretending to be an expert on these wage issues, but it seems to me to that this latest turn of events is yet another reason why we all need to work towards being in business for ourselves! As "Employees" we are at the mercy of everyone else making decisions which don't have the best interest of ourselves and our families at heart.

The people in charge have made a change that seems to be a slap in the face of the middle class worker. These are people who, for the most part, are just doing what was asked of them since childhood.

They went to school. Some, went to college, others didn't, but they have all been acclimated to the system which advocates a life of perpetual service to the notion that working for a little stippend is the only choice we have in this life.

Get a job, and work to pay taxes. Buy a house, and work to pay the mortgage and other bills. Have a family, and work to support them so that the cycle perpetuates with the children.

This article goes into greater detail about the changes in the Overtime labor laws. Do yourself a favor and read it. Then, when you are ready to take a stand against these changes, Take Your Stand!

Longer Hours, Less Pay

No comments: