About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Monday, December 20, 2004

[Fwd: Re: A Question from a Fan: Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo?]

OMG
OK...so I decided to do the unthinkable. I decided to send an email to my FAVORITE author just to ask him a question. I had very little thoughts or hopes that I would ever get a reply. I mean, the man has got to get tons of email and have "things to do" etc. So it was quite the shock (and honor) that I not only got a reply, but within several hours of sending my message!

OK...OK, I know. As much as I enjoy his work and "idolize" him, I know he is just a man. Living in the same world as I do, and not any of the fantasy worlds he has created. I know all of this. But still...my heart really skipped a beat when I saw his email in my inbox! The bummer is, I didn't save the original message and his response was edited to delete the non-relevant content in relation to the answer to the question I asked him. In other words, I don't have a copy of the praise I sent him so I can't re-read it an gloat to myself at how clever I was in sending praise that wasn't the ramblings of a drooling fanboy, (Which is how I felt as I was writing it...)

Man. What a cool feeling. If you have the chance to make some kind of contact with your favorite author...take it! Really!

Here is the response I just got from Mr. Brust a few minutes ago.

Woot!!

============================================================
From: Steve Brust <http://webmail.west.cox.net/agent/MobNewMsg?to=skzb@dreamcafe.com

Date: 2004/12/20 Mon PM 02:04:48 EST

To: http://webmail.west.cox.net/agent/MobNewMsg?to=wilgar@cox.net

Subject: Re: A Question from a Fan: Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo?


...Now, on to the question I have for you.

I would like to know if you have heard of the website called National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org)/. If you have, what is your opinion of it? If you haven't, here is a brief explination: Founded in 1999 by Chris Baty, the opbject is to get people to bash out a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. The primary thought behind it is that Quantity rather than Quality is the driving force to get folks started down the path of becoming Novelists. As a professional novelist yourself, your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.


-Thanks much for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the books, and took the time to tell me so.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with it, so I can't really comment. From what you say, I don't see what harm it could do, and it may do some good.
Best,
Steve

No comments: