About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Monday, December 06, 2004

Pest Control Blues

So, I learned that my house has termites. I learned this because the little critters are coming out of my living room ceiling! 3 strands seemingly appeared over night! I have to say that it really gives me the willies being in that room!

Naturally, as soon as I noticed them, I started looking in the phone book for someone to take care of the problem. And just as naturally, it was a weekend so there was no one answering the phones when I called. It took 3 days to get someone out just to give me an estimate!

Now, I never really had any practical experience in dealing with these pests, but I remember several years ago learning from a friend that the treatments can be rather expensive. And now I know that he's right! The first quote I got was for over $1000.00! Then I experienced various problems getting someone else out to the house to give me a 2nd estimate, but today it finally happened. Here's the thing: I got the referral from my ex-fiancé who now lives in Ohio. She recommended this guy that she knew here in Phoenix. She said he specialized in treating termites and that he may actually give me a discount if I tell him that she referred me. And even though I know that this was a guy she was "dating" while we were "broken up" but still living together...a buck is a buck so I gave the man a call.

Turns out, a buck is actually closer to $300! His price quote was $300 less then the first estimate I got and he will do more work, with a longer (lifetime) guarantee! So, I think I can swallow my pride a bit and save some cash along the way.

So tell me, what would you do in this situation?

2 comments:

The Paradoxical Pariah said...

I'm with Chris...

"It's not rocket science, just say yes and we can move on."

Will Farell, SNL

Unknown said...

I'm slogging through a similar situation right now.

What she did wasn't fair to you, but termites are termites. they need to go, and soon.