About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I never thought I would say this...

...But I am in LOVE with my keyboard!
OK. I suppose I owe you an explanation for this. As some of you know, I work in an office and sit at a computer for 10 plus hours a day. Several years ago I started using the Microsoft "Natural" style keyboard. I refrain from calling it an "Ergonomic" keyboard because I have seen what a true Ergo board looks like, and this ain't that...but it is so much easier on my hands and wrists than a standard 101 style board that I have come to the point that I can no longer function using that obsolete style. It is too small for me, and the layout of the keys on the "MS Naturals" just works better for me.

Ok...so, I told you all of that to tell you this: When I got to work this morning my keyboard was broken. It wasn't completely broken mind you...it was just 3 keys that weren't working. They are the "Q", "A" and "Z" keys. An odd grouping of defectiveness to be sure. Now, as anyone who deals with a Corporate Office Computer Network knows, a password is required in order to log on. And if you mess up the password too many times...you are OOL. (Out Of Luck!)

Well, in the land of password security, the letters you type in are always replaced by the innocuous asterisk. So, as I tried to log on, over and over...KNOWING that I am typing my password correctly each time, I am at first confused and then upset that the system keeps telling me that the password I am typing is not matching what the system has on file.

So, I check to make sure the CAPS LOCK is not on and go again. But to no avail. Finally I get to the point that the system has locked me out and I can't even TRY to log on with out changing my password. This is ridiculous...but what choice do I have. Fortunately my company implemented an innovation in password security that eliminates the need for me to go crying to my Team Leader every time I get "veered off".

I click the button and start trying to correct my password. The process requires that I enter my current password in order to change it, which I think is silly since my current password has betrayed me and I feel no desire to acknowledge its existence. But I must and so I do. I type it in just the same as I had done 20 times previous, but this time I notice something...unusual. One of the letters is not there. I try it again...slowly...making damned certain that I am not pressing the wrong keys, and once again there is the same missing letter. (It was the letter "A" in case you are wondering.) Well, now I know why I was not able to get on line when I KNEW I was typing the password correctly!

There was only one way to resolve this. I have to steal a keyboard from a coworkers desk. I take the only other "Natural" keyboard in the office and jack it into the port behind my computer. This time the password HAS to work, right? Tap tap tap WHAT!? DAMN!! THIS keyboard is defective too! The "O" button won't work, and I MUST have an "O" to log on!

My frustration was enormous! This leaves me with only one option. I was forced to take a Standard keyboard from a different computer to use until our I.T.S. dept could get me a replacement.

Well...that replacement was hand delivered just now and I have just installed the new keyboard and I have to say again: I am in LOVE with my keyboard!

Whew! I can't believe I TYPED all of that! (And even more: I can't believe you READ all of that!! Hee hee!!)

No comments: