About Me

My photo
I live in Phoenix AZ, and have been working at the cable company since 1989, (I'll let you do the math...it depresses me too much!). I have a dog and a drum set at home that I play with/on regularly. Oh...and a computer. Duh... I shoot all Canon gear. Currently the 40D. I mainly focus on Glamour/Beauty/Artistic Nude photography, but I also love Event & Street photography!

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Senseless Violence

It's enough to make me want to stay off the streets of this city. The thought that, at any time, and for no reason, one of my fellow citizens can decide that it's time for me to die has just been brought home once again.

This time it was when a man driving the city streets cut off another driver, and then SHOT him when he saw that the other driver was on his cell phone. The shooter thought that the other man was calling the police (because the shooter cut him off in traffic) and so he pulled out his gun and fired. The bullet went thru the door and hit his elbow, traveling up his arm to lodge in his neck.

The police reports state that if the vehicle had been constructed differently, the bullet would have hit the drivers head, most likely killing him.

So what are we to do about this? IS there anything that CAN be done about this? We are not going to abolish handguns (nor do I really think that we should). It's not like you can say that the victim brought it on himself. He wasn't interfering in something that didn't concern him...he was driving down the street and was cut off in traffic and shot.

Oh...the bit about him being on the phone? He was talking to his sister.

Oh, one other part of this story: The victim is a technician for the company I work for. He was in a company vehicle on company business.

I have been trying to think of a good way to end this entry, but I can't. The best I can come up with is to say that I saw in the news story on tv that the police have arrested a suspect and that the tech is expected to recover...So I suppose there is a small bit of hope in this, though for the life of me I can't really see it...

Oh...here are a few links to stories online about this incident: Arizona Republic
AZFAmily.com
Another AZFamily.com Story

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each time I've read this post, I've been in a different mind-set, so I've decided to post a few of them instead of hitting this from just one of them. There are many minds not quoted here, but you get the idea I think.

--Philosophical reply:
You can't avoid your fate, if you believe in such a thing. What is going to happen is going to happen.

--Transhumanist reply:
This is the type of stupidity I hope can be engineered out of humanity.

--Naturalist reply:
Population Control. Since we have no natural predators, it is our own society and stupidity that has to keep our numbers down. Too bad it's indiscriminate and doesn't just kill the useless ones.

--Survivalist reply:
You can only prepare yourself and those around you through education and preparation. Why aren't bulletproof windows standard on cars? How soon before that's a reality.



Oshiah